Sooo, the weather is not cooperating with me. I may not be able to paint another piece of furniture until December. Yes, it kind of stinks. A WHOLE lot.
Grrr...
In the meantime, I realize had forgotten to post this. I bought this desk at a junk shop (I say that with love of course ; ) two years ago and thought it would be a perfect little size for D's room. It was white and a bit dinged up, but for $12 I knew I could do something with it.
Ha! These photos are two years old. I remember discussing the color scheme, drawer pulls, etc. with Delaney and she said pink with glass knobs.
Pink with glass knobs it would be.
Well, it was during the summer that year and I decided I didn't give a hoot about the temperature/humidity suggestions on the labels. HUGE lesson learned. Never again. I had quite a sticky mess on my hands. The paint was getting that crackled effect (nice when that's what you're going for, BUT...) and the paint would
N O T cure.
I ended up having to bring the desk inside thinking I could get it to dry. It dried a little but I decided that adding a coat of polyurethane would help it to harden. After a week inside with fans blasting on it (and my house smelling toxic and horrible), it was dry enough (but still a bit tacky) to move into her room.
I'm NOT crazy about how SUPER SHINY it is from the poly (seriously, you can check to see if that pesto you had with lunch is still wedged in your teeth in the reflection of that desk) and I'm still entertaining the idea of putting something behind the drawer pulls. I know I would paint the desk quite differently if I were doing it today. It will probably go through a few different color schemes over the years as D gets older, so I'm sure I'll get the chance to give it a makeover : )
Delaney likes it so I'm happy...but I will never attempt to defy the paint gods EVER again!
The good thing about having to wait to paint the bits I have is, I can really take some time to decide on exactly what I want to do with them. I've already patched and sanded the phone stand and I'm still trying to decide the best way to tackle the spindles on the chair.
Still lots to learn : )
5 comments:
It looks so pretty & what a bargain
What a great find! It's perfect for a girl! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment. I am now a follower of yours! Drop by again, soon.
I'm old and I would LOVE a pink desk like THAT one! Love your talent!
You are amazing with the furniture restorations, I always love seeing what you do next!! This reminds me of when the DD and I painted her room 2 shades of pink when she was 13(3 walls lighter, one dark) as she had always wanted a pink room. So pink she got, complete with little hanging pink chandelier!! I would do it differently myself now as well but at the time it was fabulous!! haha
OK my favorite color is PINK and I am in love with this desk! Perfect!
Post a Comment