I can't believe it...everything went as planned...and it was great.





Yes, that indeed is the menu on the side of the building...and yes, all but the burger comes to you ON A STICK in a basket lined with wax paper.
Sounds like fair food hu?...But it wasn't...it wasn't very greasy (I almost HATE fried food) and it was real food....SOOOOO good. We had dinner (a little of everything) and drinks(the grown-up kind) for about $25. The atmosphere was great, food was great, band was great (although they did play a Shania Twain song that I can't stand, but I can forgive that)...Just a great night with great friends~perfect.

The next day we found a yummy bakery for a bite of breakfast and headed off to St Louis Mills Mall to Archiver's. I thought I was in heaven, but there is just SO much stuff there-my head was spinning! The guys (God bless 'em) didn't seem to mind that we stayed there for 2 1/2 hours (and went back later). We married some great guys, Kel and I...they knew how important it was for us to have some time together. It was fun just to look around, stroll, and chat. Certainly something we never get to do!
My loot! Wish I could have gotten some more paper (only got 3 sheets)it was just soooo $$$! I got to see (and purchase) things I've only seen online~it was pretty cool. Kelly got to find a lot of the "boy" things she wasn't finding in Quincy too-we found a lot of what we were looking for and just had a blast being together.
Hubby and I attended his company party later that night and had a fun time. I met some of the girls that work in the office up there and we had some good fun (I even got up with them for some karaoke:). I tell you what, I haven't met too many Mid-Western girls that I couldn't have a laugh with. Maybe it's because I'm from up there, I don't know. I lived the first 10 years of my life up there and the last 22 down here on the Gulf...and I know I will always be a Mid-Western girl at heart. I'm not much for the beach and the lack of real grass and green trees around here
makes me crazy. I miss the seasons changing, the leaves turning,...it makes me a little sad really. The trees up there were past peak mostly, but the little bit I did see did my heart good. I haven't visited Ill. in the fall since we moved 22 yrs ago so I haven't seen real fall colors in that long...and I love it so much. ANYWAY...
Hubby and I had 2 1/2 days with friends and a little alone time too. On Sun. we drove along the river to try to catch a few of the fall colors...not much to see but I did get a few pics. We drove through a little town (Grafton, IL-pop. 650)and stopped in an antique shop (or as Hubby calls it, a "junk shop") didn't buy anything but I took some pics. Neat little town-if we get up there again, I'm sure we'll stop.

First off let me say that I find it incredibly ridiculous how much I looked forward to the plane ride, to being by MYSELF for a couple of hours. The photo to the right...pure heaven. Mp3 player, a catalog I've been meaning to look at, a card-making magazine, My new book ~The Art of Personal Imagery by Corey Moortgat {love it by the way, so inspiring. It looks like something you might like Casii}, and my sketch pad. I sure needed it, and it was great.
There is something about looking out of the window and seeing the landscape all laid out in front of me that just gets me emotional. Makes me feel so small, so insignificant. It's weird, but at the same time I feel like anything is possible, that things I hope for are attainable. I did some pretty intense journaling...and that felt good too. Here are some photos from my window...I love looking out and seeing all of the different patterns in the landscape. In the photo in the center, you can see where urban meets rural.
I guess I should get to where I went and why. Hubby was working in Illinois and they flew me up for the weekend. And the best part...I grew up in Illinois two hours from there and my best friend since birth (Kelly) could come down and visit! We needed a much deserved do-over from Feb. when Mallory (then 14 months) and I went up North and stayed with Kel and her family for 3 days... Mallory was sick the WHOLE time (which included a trip to the hospital)...she puked (and got other things) on every upholstered surface in their house AND got Kel's boys sick too. We made the most of it but we didn't get to visit very much~which is why we were SO excited that this opportunity came along. It wasn't going to be much time-about 24 hours...BUT....wait for it..............wait for it........NO KIDS! Yep we were gonna miss them, but we knew we deserved this time, sooooo, Kel and her Hubby met us for some wonderful just hanging out time. First on the agenda: Dinner. I had been looking online for some places to eat in or around St Louis and came across this place. It had 5x more reviews than most places, and all the comments were excellent. It was a little place with cheap, awesome food, drinks, and a band with a dance floor...sounded too good to be true but we checked it out and WOW, we LOVED it*!* 
::Sorry, No Kids?..I'm not sorry!::::)
We had a great lunch, walked around a little more, and just like that, it was time to head back. We knew it would be short, but living almost 1000 miles away from each other, we weren't complaining! We are opposites, Kel and I...from the obvious: I'm dark haired and dark eyed/she's light haired, light eyed. To the very obvious: She's organized, I'm not. She's punctual, I'm not. She has a tendency to be shy, I'm not...etc. We have been friends since I was born~not too many people can say that...well, except for sisters...and we're about as close to that as you can get. I LOVE you Kel...I wish we could see each other more...you're the best*!*
Nice little
getaway...a much needed one.
Thank you to both sets of Grandparents for helping with the girls~I know I've said this before but we are truly blessed with wonderful families...thank you, thank you*!*
Now, go to the bathroom and get a bite to eat...I'm sure you have to...
{don't you hate it when you get done with a post, it looks perfect until you hit the "publish post" button? Grr...I swear it looked like an adult did it before I hit that d*** button!}
**If you haven't seen it already, scroll down to see Kel and I when we were teeny tiny**
6 comments:
Dianna you have such a way with words and pictures. You take pictures of the simplest things and they are gorgeous. I love that you can find beauty wherever you look. I'm glad you made the trip. Leaving the girls for 2 nights had to be hard. Todd and I sure had a blast so if you ever have the opportunity to come with Preston for work again, call me!! I'll be there in a heartbeat.
Dianna, don't you just love Corey's book? It is my current personal favorite right now. So inspiring! I am like you why I fly - if I have a window seat, my head is glued to looking out the window to see whatever I can see. I am like a kid!
The best girls are from Quincy. Woohoo!! I'll have to add that to my blog now too!
DLN..What a fun entry.....I felt like I was there watching you girls enjoy each other....awesome photos.....thanks for the trip....L E&A DOA
I love this post! It looks like you two had so much fun! Great photos!!! I will have to search out that restaurant when we move to the St. Louis area next summer! Thank you so much for sharing your fun trip with us! smiles...
I could say so much about this post...I don't know why you're so funny about pics of yourself when you're so hot!! LOL! seriously though you guys look so cute together...love those photos and this post.....I love fast eddie's, and I love Grafton, and I can't wait until you get a chance to come back up here so I can meet you and Kelly...where is Kelly by the way? and Christi will be here soon too...I think we should plan a trip... r u up?
Post a Comment