Friday, November 9, 2007

New fun~New discoveries

One of the ladies in my Bunco group owns a pottery shop and last week we were all invited for an evening of painting, friendship, food, and fun {and a little wine too :} I was nervous~I had never painted pottery before and I was pretty worried about making a hideous mess out of something that cost more than I was comfortable spending anyway. Well, after considering making ornaments for the girls, making light switches for the girls' rooms, and making small jewelery boxes for the girls, I decided to make something for ME. {a novel idea right?} I was out some new friends having some much needed {and long-awaited} girl time, I decided to be selfish. I chose the business card holder to hold my card projects, paper scraps I'm using, card examples I'm trying to duplicate, etc. so I can more readily see them {which will help when the table is covered with all of my papers, punches, scissors, etc.} My little crafty corner of the house is in the kitchen which is decorated black, white, and dark red. As you can see, it turned out fire-engine red...not dark red {grrr} but that's ok~I had a great time and made something I really like. I can't wait to go back*!*




Today I'm realizing how much my girls are changing. Mallory looked so big tonight~we went to dinner with Yia-Yia and PaPou and she had on an outfit that just made her look so tall and well,...like a big girl. She's almost two and I am welcoming the changes. I enjoy all of the girls' stages, but I enjoy watching them grow up too~I'm just not one of those Moms that mourns the loss of the baby days.


My Delaney and I were laying in bed tonight talking and doing our little "designs" routine (she closes her eyes and I "draw" pictures on her face with my finger~she likes to picture in her head what I'm drawing...it's just something we've done for a couple of years. It calms her down and I get to really have a good look at that pretty mug of hers :) and of course I was studying her sweet, freckled face. What began as a few little pin-point sparkles {what my family always called freckles} on the apples of her cheeks and tip of her nose have slowly spread to the lower part of her face. The shapes of them have changed too-no longer tiny little flecks but different shapes and tones. Poor girl...she's going to end up like her Mom. Funny...I don't even notice them anymore. They cover every, EVERY inch of my face, and I don't even "see" them. I don't remember ever getting teased about them... well, except once. My older brother said that I looked like someone threw poop {sooo not the word he really used} at me through a screen door. {thought it was pretty funny actually.} I was offended one time at the makeup counter now that I think about it~the nice lady informed me, "You know, they have products now that can get rid of those freckles."... Get rid of them? They are on my face and I am quite used to them~I kind of like them... they are a part of who I am!!! Hmmmm how crazy is that, I feel almost protective of them. Hopefully Delaney will like hers as much as I do mine. And hey, maybe she will never get teased...she doesn't even have a big brother.

:)

4 comments:

Christi said...

Look at that cute business card holder! I love the style of it. Fantastic job on it.

Love the sweet story about drawing on Delaney's face...so sweet!!!
smiles....

Kelly said...

Good for you for doing something for yourself. Why do moms always feel guilty about that?? You did an awesome job and I'm glad you had so much fun--you deserve it. Your girls are so precious. I hate that we aren't still living next door to each other. It would be so special to have our kiddos grow up together like we did.

6 days!!!!
I promise I'll get the hotel reservations today!!

Unknown said...

DLN...I LOVE your freckles and I love that Delaney has them also!!
You put freckles on your cute card holder also.....shoot, dalmatians are always show stoppers...why?...spots!!
That cosmetics sales person was probably a painted hussie!!
Love E&A DOA

Amy said...

Love these pics of your girls, they are so beautiful!